Glow in the dark GITD Micarta!?!?

In the last few weeks I have been experimenting with some 15mm thick wood.  A beautyful, heavy, but very brittle, partially treated exotic hardwood, originally made for wooden floor.

Won this GITD powder just today. Cant wait to have it in my hands.
I dont know, if I mentioned it before, but this wood I have is hmmm... VERY brittle. Every and each time I try shaping it to a knife handle, it just cracks, and snaps. I have already ruined a 12x50cm board. So I got pretty much fed up with it by now. Some say I should steam it, to make it softer, but then I'm afraid, that the glue would not stick to it.

I have this idea for a few weeks now, to make a GITD knife handle. But not the easy, "Buy a pair of Kirinite GITD knife scales!" way.

I am rather thinking of making a canvas micarta, where I'd put some (A LOT:) glow in the dark (GITD) powder in the laminting resin. Today I won an auction of some -allegedly- powerful GITD powder, Id like to use for the process.

Of course I still need to choose a suitable resin for the task, but I have found a few reliable sources already, I hope to get some professional advice from them.

I dont know, how it would turn out. If anyone has an idea, I'd be happy to hear. I have not found any reliable information on this yet. A YouTube video does cover something alike, but as I have figured it, that is more a G10 (made with glass fiber), than micarta (made with canvas).

Cheers:
5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratot - my own design

Heat treat oven - electric